The Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo is operated by Plant Expo (ABN 44 326 738 870).
In the course of running the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo (once called Ipswich Plant Expo) related activities in the past and potentially in the future may include exhibitions, workshops/conferences, social gatherings, competitions, promotions and functions through which we collect personal information.
The Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo is committed to protecting your privacy by ensuring that any personal information we collect, or may in the future collect, is handled in compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) as amended from time to time. This policy sets out our personal information management policies and obligations under the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act.
Information we collect
This policy applies to personal information, being information or opinions about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information.
Depending on the primary purpose of collection (see below), the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo may collect and hold personal information including but not limited to:
- your name;
- your addresses (including e-mail addresses);
- your other contact details;
- your date and place of birth (where required to provide you with the goods or services);
- details regarding your occupation, job position and industry;
- details regarding your expertise and interests;
- your financial and credit information;
- any information required to engage you or to consider engaging you as a contractor; and
- any other information you consent to provide or which assists us in providing you with our goods and services, conducting our business, marketing our services and meeting our legal obligations.
We may also collect sensitive personal information such as health information, criminal history, and memberships of professional or trade associations where required by the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo in the provision of its services, and with the consent of the individual. Generally, we do not collect sensitive information from customers and competition entrants.
How we collect personal information
We may collect your personal information from a number of sources including:
- most commonly, directly from you such as when you contact and correspond with us or register your details on our website;
- your current and previous employers;
- trade references;
- our subcontractors, suppliers and agents;
- our business associates and other third-party sources; and
- through your activity inside the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo website.
Why we use and disclose the personal information we collect
We take reasonable steps to use and disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which we collect it. The primary purpose for which information is collected varies, depending on the particular service being provided or the individual from whom we are collecting the information but is generally as follows:
In the case of customers:
- to allow access to and conduct the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo and other events; and
- to provide you with relevant goods and services.
In the case of competition entrants:
- to hold competitions;
- to create competition event timetables and schedules;
- to assess entries; and
- to allocate prizes to winners.
In the case of subcontractors, suppliers, commercial exhibitors and agents:
- to assess your suitability for engagement;
- to assist us to conduct the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo and other events;
- to assist us in providing goods and services to our customers; and
- to efficiently coordinate events.
We may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purposes for which it is collected and for reasonably expected secondary purposes, other circumstances authorised by the Privacy Act, and as otherwise consented to by you.
Some secondary purposes may include:
- to record entries and results in competitions;
- to communicate with you;
- to facilitate and process transactions with you;
- to perform administrative functions;
- to comply with our legal obligations; and
- to generally help us manage and enhance our services.
Disclosure of personal information
From time to time, we may disclose personal information about you to third parties such as:
- technology and administrative service providers and outsourcing contractors;
- exhibitors and the general public through publication in catalogues;
- other companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf (such as specialist consultants);
- third parties with whom we have a business relationship for the purpose of them providing products and services to you and marketing to you;
- court, tribunals and regulatory authorities;
- police and other law enforcement agencies; and
- anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it to.
Anonymity and pseudonyms
It is generally not possible to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when dealing with us. If you want to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when dealing with us, you should notify us and we will try to accommodate your request, subject to our ability to do so.
Access to and correcting personal information
You may request access to the personal information held by us or ask us for your personal information to be corrected. In most cases, we do not store or reserve data relating to personal information. Third parties (such as google cookies, etc.) may monitor your activity on our website but that is beyond our control and it is your responsibility for online activity and data trails.
We will grant you access to your personal information as soon as possible, subject to the request circumstances.
In keeping with our commitment to protect the privacy of personal information, we may not disclose personal information to you without proof of identity.
We may deny access to personal information if:
- the request is unreasonable;
- no information was recorded or retained;
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of another person;
- providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any person; and
- there are other legal grounds to deny the request.
We may charge a fee for reasonable costs incurred in responding to an access request. The fee (if any) will be disclosed before it is levied.
If you want to make a complaint about an alleged breach of your privacy, you must follow the following process:
- The complaint must first be made to us in writing, using the contact details in the ‘Who to Contact’ section. We will have a reasonable time to respond to the complaint.
- If the privacy issue cannot be resolved, you may take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Who to contact
If you would like to know more about how we handle personal information, make a complaint, correct, or request access to personal information we hold about you, please contact the Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo Privacy Officer on:
Address: Privacy Officer – Brisbane Garden & Plant Expo
PO Box 7202, Mt Crosby, Qld, 4306
Acknowledgement and Consent
By disclosing your personal information to us (including but not limited to through your use of our websites or applications), you are indicating that you consent to us collecting, using and disclosing your personal information on the terms set out in this policy, as modified from time to time without prior notice. If you do not consent to any of the above, please contact the Privacy Officer.